Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Too Late to Change My Mind!

 Since buying our house five years ago, I've hated the bathrooms.  They are standard 1980's issue (in keeping with the house), and were given a fresh coat of paint and new accessories just before we bought the house.  With lots of gardening and other projects to do, they've always just sort of been there, always on the "when I have a few thousand extra dollars I'll think about it" list.  The only thing I have done in the guest bathroom in five years is hang the "Merman" shower curtain I bought at an arts festival a few years ago.

We have said for a long time that when we got back from England there would be no big trips for a couple of years, and we were going to do some work on the house.  Well, we're back from England and it's time.  I'm delighted to say that everything is gone from the old bathroom, and we're starting to put back together.  Until you've owned a pinkish beige composite bathtub and surround for five years, you have no idea how exciting it is to be the owner of a simple white bathtub!  The garage is filled with travertine tiles, and the sofa in the little sitting room downstairs is covered with faucets and such.  Pinkish plastic tub is sitting in the trash pile, along with the "faux marble" sink (complete with cigarette burns from a former owner of years ago).  So far it's a beautiful day in my bathroom.....

6 comments:

  1. Tim, I know exactly how you are feeling my friend. Nothing better than getting rid of somebody elses old stamp on the house, and putting your own on it. As for the new colour scheme....MUCH better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can`t beat white !fresh and clean !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to watching the progress... re-doing a bathroom, That is major!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to clarify when I say "I" am redoing a bathroom, that means Tony the fabulous contractor! Natural stone and Venetian plaster is definitely out of my league as a DIY project. You must have me confused with Tom from Seventh Street!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim,

    Be sure Tony uses cement board for the tile backing. The travertine tile you will love it character. I have two customers right now with tile falling off drywall in the tub surround.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fortunately Tony is a perfectionist with his work! He is a much better artist than a business man! Keeps adding things to make it more perfect, and then refuses to charge me!

    ReplyDelete