Friday, March 20, 2009

Celia Thaxter's Garden

I finally was able to make a reservation to see Celia Thaxter's garden!

For many years I've heard about this famous garden on Appledore Island, off the coast of Maine, but have never been able to arrange my schedule to accommodate a visit. It is a challenge to reach (in my case, a plane to a car to a boat), and is only open eight days a year for tours, on eight consecutive Thursdays in the summer.

I have a mild issue with seasickness on some of these boats, but even if I'm carrying a brown paper bag with me, I'm going to see this! The garden was recreated in 1977, based upon the exact plan and plants that Celia Thaxter put there in 1893.

This is one of those cases of following my passion. There is something oddly magical about this place for me, though I've never been there. On a recent trip to the Birmingham Museum of Art (in Alabama of all places), I fell in love with an oil painting, which turned out to be of this garden. I'm sure it's destiny!

I won't have any updates or photos until July, but they're coming!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the photos. I have never read her book but have always wanted to. I have that same feeling about Dumbarton Oaks and I finally got to visit it two years ago. It was a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of her either, and am also looking forward to your photos and trip report. As I've gotten older, I find I'm no longer seasick, so good luck and maybe you won't feel it. You know, I visited a little town in Cornwall, Zennor, some 10 years ago and felt oddly at home there in a powerful way that made no sense. My only English heritage is cultural (through the ex in-laws)--my "blood" is German and Austrian (child of immigrants). Huh.

    ReplyDelete