Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Few Shots from Oakland Cemtery

It's the time of year when gardens are "resting" in Georgia, so not a lot going on except pruning and trimming.  I have a new appreciation for Russian Sage, lantana and rudbeckia!

I finally had opportunity on Saturday to spend the morning volunteering with lots of others at Historic Oakland Cemetery.  I find that it grounds me and brings me quickly back to the delighful simplicity one can find in the garden.  One can't help but be left breathless by the incredible beauty of the place, in the middle of a not-so-great part of Atlanta.  As always, click on the photos to enlarge (though they were taken with my phone, so not such great quality).

This first one really illustrates the Victorian view of cemeteries as a part of regular life.  How grand to spend the afternoon picnicing near the resting spot of a beloved family member.
The Austells were clearly a family of some means.....perhaps that's why there is a nearby small city named for them.
This is a favorite memorial of mine, in honor of a little girl who died very young.

This memorial urn is taller than I am, and one of a pair that flanks the entrance to the family mausoleum.

For more information, go to http://www.oaklandcemetery.com/

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely place this is! And I totally understand your feelings about cemeteries - I've always been drawn to them for the sense of quiet and peace that they bring to the soul. Plus, so many of the old ones are so beautifully laid out and landscaped - more like pleasant public parks rather than places of sorrow. I'm glad you enjoyed your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the back of this urn it says "When she had passed, it seemed like the ceasing of exquisite music," Thank you for volunteering your time. I have the honor of volunteering there myself, but I always get more than I give.

    ReplyDelete