Thursday, February 5, 2009

Forsythia Mornings




Every year at about this time, I'm certain that we're breaking records for "ridiculous cold" in Georgia, and question if it's warmer here than in New England. Fortunately I'll come to my senses soon (about the time it reaches 65 degrees this weekend), but that doesn't change the fact that I'm chilled to the bone right now. This is definitely one of those mornings to climb back under the covers with that first cup of coffee.



What a treat to look out the window this morning (while waiting for the coffee), to see the first blooms on the forsythia outside the breakfast room! It's one of my favorite shrubs, probably because my parents have a giant old forsythia next to the ancient swings. It seems that no matter how miserable the weather, the forsythia is going to bloom its heart out in the midst of winter. Everything is gray and brown, and in the midst of it all, there is a blast of lemon yellow blossoms!



It isn't elegant like the redbuds and daffodils, and it doesn't have that amazing fragrance like Daphne Odoroa; it's just there in its big old unpruned glory! Just when it seems like winter can't get any more gray, the forsythia reminds me that spring is definitely on its way!

No comments:

Post a Comment