Monday, November 9, 2009

The English Gardener and His Wife

One morning last summer, I was working in a flower bed near the street at the big house, but a hedge blocked my view of the road. The couple walking by couldn't see me working on the ground, but I could hear them commenting about how beautiful the grounds looked (which made me love these strangers instantly!). The woman is a regular walker with her friends, and I assumed this must be her husband.

For those of you who don't know me personally, I have a rather distinctive voice (which means I could never make an anonymous phone call), sort of a hybrid between northern New England, Charleston, and Atlanta. This is only important because the woman said to her husband, "That garden always looks so beautiful! Now they have an English gardener who is out here working all the time with his wife!" Needless to say, that comment would delight Frank (my partner), and Simon (Patti's husband). Since Patti and I spar like an old married couple on a daily basis (mostly to entertain ourselves), I loved this perception by the walkers.
As a result, we've decided on new work attire, so there is no confusion any more amongst the walkers in the neighborhood. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem. They always call me 'mam' at the drive throughs. In my next life, I will be 6'1" and be able to go into any store and buy clothes of the rack, and have a low mellow voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beyond hilarious! OMG!!! That is so funny!

    ReplyDelete