Saturday, February 6, 2010

Some Photos from the Southeastern Flower Show

This first section of photos is comprised of things that were "arranged." Since I took about 30 photos this morning, I thought I might break them into categories. This first set is of arrangements that I personally found appealing. Above is the centerpiece from a table in one of the competitive categories. The tablescape as a whole didn't win, but I thought the centerpiece was pretty fabulous. Roses and hellebores are such a beautiful combination...shame they don't grow at the same time of year in nature.
The arrangement above is live plants, done in a birdbath. This one took first place in that division, and involved lots of forced winter plants. It was pretty cool to watch over the course of three days as things opened and others faded. Kudos to the entrants for coming back every day to "fluff' it up". The birdbath below took second place in the same category. I liked it because it appears almost to be from the bottom of the ocean.
The terrarium below was done by my friend, Sara, and my photo doesn't do it justice. It won first place in its category and was just beautiful! I'm afraid my photo doesn't give a good image of how softly-faded and aged it was in appearance. You'll have to take my word for how stunning it was! (As usual, click the photos to make them larger.)





8 comments:

  1. You have a very nice blog, here... lovley layout, great photos & interesting opinions. I will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are beautiful......love them all, especially the first bird bath and your friends piece.....wonderful;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff, Tim. I love garden shows and, I agree, Sara's terrarium deserves a click ... it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so inspiring to be around talent. That is why I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flattery will get you everywhere, kind sir.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the photos. The live arrangements are my favorites. Gives me some inspiration to do something different this spring with my outdoor planters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am inspired to get down to the Vet's Auditorium and see our garden show. It is going to be in a couple of weeks and after 60 or more days with snow on the ground I am ready to see green growth. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tim, I absolutely love your friend's terrarium! She is extremely talented. And as a frequent flower show contestant, I have to say what a pleasure it is to see other designers who value traditional design. I get so tired of contemporary design - it seems as though the plant material is an afterthought, almost an accessory. Her terrarium is a breath of fresh air. Sorry, but I do tend to rant about floral design...

    ReplyDelete