Wednesday, October 24, 2012

"Sloppy Chicks" Recipe

This one is for Gary at "A Day in the Life......."

We are still up to our eyeballs in the pansy planting, though we're about three-quarters finished at the Big House.  The lake house was done about a week ago, so we're now able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  More photos to follow later, but let's just say the greenhouse looks a little like a plant bomb exploded, with the remnants of all of the tender plants we've removed from containers lying around, waiting for their winter homes to rest for future plantings (like the 30 lb Alocasia bulbs!)

Since time is at a premium during these few weeks, I wanted a dinner that would come together quickly and easily.  I discovered this recipe on Pinterest the other day, for a vegan version of "Sloppy Joes," that is actually good for you (apologies to the Brits, but I don't know if "Sloppy Joe" is a recipe you are familiar with).  If not, consider this a healthy introduction to a delicious (but often not so good for you) American classic.

If you are turned off by the idea of "vegan," I think this recipe would be incredible with traditional ground beef.  I would just go ahead and brown the ground beef, drain off the fat, and insert the cooked meat into this recipe where the chickpeas are used.  The sauce flavor is really outstanding, and I'll definitely check out more of this blogger's recipes.

The only comment I would make is that it was a challenge to smash up the chickpeas with a fork.  I ended up stirring/smashing this during the cooking process with a potato masher, and that worked just great!  I didn't change a single thing with the seasoning or other ingredients.

http://keepinitkind.com/sloppy-chicks-chickpea-sloppy-joes/

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim,
    Thanks for the link to what sounds like a delicious recipe, and one that I will certainly try. I have never heard of 'Sloppy Joes', liquid aminos or liquid smoke, which can only make it all the more fun. It also sounds like something quite satisfying after a cold and wet winters day gardening! I hope that the greenhouse stuff goes ok, as I am dure it will in your capable hands, and look forward to the photos.

    ReplyDelete