Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ice Cream Freaks!

                                     
"Ice Cream Freaks" could probably be the caption under a photo of my family, particularly on Dad's side of the family tree.  I grew up in a house where ice cream is one of the basic food groups, and even in a blizzard, ice cream is a daily necessity.

Since I'm really trying to consume a healthier diet, I've gradually switched over to Greek-style yogurt, and at this point rarely eat ice cream at all.  It never occurs to me that there are lots of people who do not eat Greek-style yogurt, and I'm always surprised when people say, "This is really good!  And healthy!  What is it again?"

I'm really not a born-again health nut type, but this is my sweet snack/dessert of choice:  About 1/4 cup of Greek-style yogurt (I use Fage 0% fat), a tablespoon or so of Wheat Germ (it adds crunch and apparently folic acid), some blueberries (I don't remember why, but men are supposed to eat blueberries), and a squish of honey.  Stir it, don't stir it, whatever works.  Put it in a pretty glass or bowl if it's for guests, put it in a paper cup if you're driving.

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to try this. I'm a big fan of ice cream too. I have to just stop buying it or else I'm eating it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha...that's funny...my family was the same way. Every night at 8 o'clock on the dot we'd all have ice cream for a snack...we actually called it "Snack Time"...those were the days. Although I do occcassionally indulge in Ice Cream these days, I prefer yogurt as well...especially with something crunchy added...there is something wonderful about that tanginess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, I prefer 2% and eat mine at breakfast! J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just now hearing about it on cooking shows. I will look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fage is the best Hellenic yogurt on the market. I use it to make tuna salad, on top of cauliflower, and just by itself. yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use it as sour cream also.
    My new favorite breakfast is 1T low sugar strawberry jelly, 1/2 c slice strawberries, 1/2 banana sliced, 1/3 c 0%Fage Plain and 2 T lowfat granola. Layer in a bowl.

    ReplyDelete