Monday, February 21, 2011

The Southeastern Flower Show

                                
We're working at the Big House all day today, then tomorrow morning starts the big push for setup at the Southeastern Flower Show.  In typical fashion, my "helium hand" got me in trouble, and I'm managing the installation of a 20x20 garden for the Georgia Perennial Plant Association.  I use the term "managing" very loosely, since that also means loading, building, hammering, cutting, running around, printing, etc.

"How bad could it be?"  I thought, just before the 38-page book of rules arrived......(these flower show people are really a specialized cult, you know......)This year's overall theme is "In Tune with Blooms,"  so we're using a theme of "Rondo" in our display garden.

“Like the musical form of Rondo, gardening always returns to the central theme of healthy gardening practices that support the populations of insects, birds, bees and soil creatures.”
Pictures to follow in a day or two.......if you're in this part of the world, I hope to see you there!

4 comments:

  1. Tim, Tim - NEVER say "How bad can it be?" - you'll always find out just exactly how bad........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck. I know how much work these set ups can be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, is a Thank you, is a Thank you... sorry for pulling a Gertrude Stein on you. I recently found your blog and I totally love it. The ideas, the photography, the enthusiasm about gardening and design is stunning. I live in Winnipeg MB Canada. Which you have probably never hear of unless you have heard of the WInnipeg Jets or know that Whinney the Pooh was written by a man from Winnipeg. I live in a zone 3 (-45-50 below) area of the country. Our growing season is from May til September 15th or so. Its a very short season. We a blessed with extremely humid and hot summers. So gardening here is very intense once the soil warms up. The other good thing about gardening here is that the sun is up from 4 in the morning until 10 pm. Thank you again for your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, good luck from me as well! I have the same job of managing one that starts on April 7th. All those deadlines, plans, order this, order that, get staff, get plants, get builders, get gardeners, stylists, get your products and build everything and get everything in place in two days working from 7.00 a.m. to 10 p.m. I'm a bit stressed already..

    ReplyDelete